After spending 54 years from birth to 2008 living in Iowa I was presented with an opportunity to live in Fairbanks, Alaska. My blog is a diary of the adventure to get to Alaska, day to day life in Alaska, as well as facts for loved ones left behind in the Lower 48. Enjoy.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Someplace to hang our hat & not much more

Well, we've secured us a place to live once in Fairbanks. It is small, around 350 sq ft., but supposedly has all the necessities. The landlord tells me that there are two six-foot closets - one in the bedroom and one in the living area, so that is one more closet than we currently have in our place here. We figure that during the first few months we probably won't be spending a lot of time in our apartment, so it doesn't really make a whole lot of difference what size it is. It is a month to month lease, so if/when we find a larger place to move, we can do without too much hassle.

Tomorrow Nate is going to the local USPO to sign up for a box rental in Fairbanks. We then have to send the application and check for the first six months' rent to Fairbanks and they will let us know our PO box. I am getting the box at the same PO where BGH mail will be received. Figured since I have to go to the PO for their mail, might as well put ours there, too. We figure for the time being a PO box will be the best way to go. If you want our new address or PO box, drop me an e-mail.

Camilla and Brian also found a place to live. Without her knowing where we will be living they found a place about a half a mile from us. I'm told Fairbanks' terrain is flat, so we should be able to walk between our places easily.

Spent the evening going through more stuff in the basement. It seems like I'm not making any progress, yet have to be with all the garbage bags I'm filling for donation, trash, and recycling. I think that I'm of the mindset that it won't really "look" better until everything is out of the basement.

Saturday a bin of goods that wasn't supposed to go to Goodwill ended up being donated to Goodwill. I am saving only two boxes containing Christmas decorations. The box that was donated contained a manger made of wood from my parents' farm and nativity set given to me by my parents. As soon as I discovered that box had been donated I went to Goodwill. They took my name and phone number and said they'd be in contact with me if they found it. Well, today I got a call. I went to Goodwill (5 miles) and took a look. They had two they'd found, but neither was the correct one. The lady said that they'd keep looking for it and that she'd pray that it turns up. While there I donated what was left in the back of my van.

I was pleased with Goodwill's customer service in keeping an eye out for the nativity set and contacting me, as I was concerned they might take down my name and number only to pacify me at that particular moment. When I told Camilla about the loss of the nativity set she reminded me that while it may be gone, I still hold the memory of having it. hmmm...something to think about.

For those of you who are new to this blog, there is an additional page. If my memory serves me correctly, there's an area to click in the lower right hand corner of this page which takes you to the next.

1 comment:

Marcia said...

oops - forgot I told you Sunday about having secured the apartment. Obviously things blurrrrr at times with all that's going on!