After spending 54 years from birth to 2008 living in Iowa I was presented with an opportunity to live in Fairbanks, Alaska. My blog is a diary of the adventure to get to Alaska, day to day life in Alaska, as well as facts for loved ones left behind in the Lower 48. Enjoy.

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Good News/Bad News

First the bad news. Found out today that the person that had expressed interest in leasing our home won't be leasing it - she's staying where she's at. Not to be defeated, I contacted another person who expressed interest, and they have already found a place. Therefore I put out an e-mail at work to see if anyone there might be interested. Leasing our home is a real concern, as since we're still paying the mortgage (and not wealthy), we MUST lease it.

I called Sophie Plaza (Apartments) in Fairbanks http://www.sophieplaza.com for more details. Learned that their units do NOT have a microwave or dishwasher, no air conditioning (she sez the most we'll need is a fan), and DOES have plug-ins for our vehicles, stating "that's mandatory!" She then asked where we'd be moving from, like I was clueless. I felt like saying Timbuktu, but sorry fellow Iowans, I told her the truth.

We have the rental application all completed and I'll be faxing it tomorrow. Haven't filled out a rental application in over...well, actually never. Last time I rented was back in 1979, and if I recall correctly, everything was done over a handshake back then! Anyway, the application asked questions that were quite personal, everything from job, to prior residences, credit references, character references, need copy of DL's, etc.

The really, really good news is that the rental prices they quoted me the first time I called were separated by furniture rental per month + rent for the apartment and were for a six month period. I wanted to get 12-month lease rates, and the gal I spoke with tonight stated that the rates that were quoted to me the first time were inaccurate. The price was that was quoted for the apartment (only) included the furniture rental. Cool...that saves us $150 a month!

Nate suggests we go with the year lease, as that will save us $50 per month over the six-month lease. 50 x 12 = $600...sounds good to me - as long as we like the place. Guess I'm willing to take it on.

This week I got my engine heater installed. The Charlie Zook Dodge facility here in SC gives such friendly service. As we dropped off my van for the installation I remarked to Nate how much I'll miss Charlie Zook. Alright - I realize it sounds rather corny to miss one's car dealership. It brought to light that's just another to add to our list of first experiences we'll have in AK.

Before I left, the mechanic pointed out that I really should be getting new tires before going to AK, as he's heard the Alaska Highway isn't 100% paved or smooth, and my tires might not make it. Great! Another expense!

I did a Google for Walgreen's and, believe it or not, there aren't any Walgreens in Fairbanks. Not that I shop a lot at Walgreen's, there are some products of theirs that I do purchase. Does it come as a surprise to you that there's a large city without a Walgreens in the US? Who'd have thought?

Nate submitted his application for BGH yesterday. Camilla stopped by my office over lunch today and told me that Brian will also be applying. If they both get hired, our family will comprise 1/4 of the Iowa BGH staff that will be working in AK.

Gotta get going on filling more boxes for the June 14 rummage and think about how packing boxes and going through one's life's stuff applies to God and Christianity.

No comments: