After spending 54 years from birth to 2008 living in Iowa I was presented with an opportunity to live in Fairbanks, Alaska. My blog is a diary of the adventure to get to Alaska, day to day life in Alaska, as well as facts for loved ones left behind in the Lower 48. Enjoy.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Boxes, boxes, and MORE boxes

The Maytag repairman is due at 3:00 today, so we'll hopefully be back in the laundry business soon. Nate and I have been paring down our clothes in our closet and I'd really like to launder everything we'll be taking since we more than likely will be using laundromat facilities in AK.

Over the weekend managed to fill another van load full of "stuff" to take to Goodwill. Also got all the artificial flowers I've been using for our church altar decorations into big plastic tubs to take to the church.

Brittany and Anna stopped by last night - Brittany got some money from her grandpa and it was burning a hole in her pocket. She bought our 10' swimming pool. I told them it needs a pump in order for it to fully function, but I'm guessing she will forge ahead and put some water in it and begin enjoying. She runs a bit short in the patience department.

I've begun to sort through the tubs of fabric I'll be selling at the June 14 rummage and marking them, too. For those of you in the SC area - HUGE rummage Saturday, June 14 @ BGH Center, 525 14th Street, 8 a.m. - 1 p.m. All of the families who will be moving to AK will participate, so it should be a big one. There's a gymnasium we can use, so the weather can do what it wants, we'll be open for business.

Received a Happy Anniversary e-mail today....opened it up to see what it was all about. It was a generic e-mail from local movie theater. However, it really got me to thinking. Nate's and my 4th wedding anniversary is this Thursday! How in the world could I have overlooked that - it's not like I have anything else going on in my life.

The living room is now a major maze, with boxes of things for the rummage, unused boxes, and boxes of clothes to move to AK. There are many boxes in the basement too, both empty and full. I ordered more paper to be delivered to work this week, so more boxes will be coming! By the time we get done using some of these boxes we'll have bonded quite well, considering unpacking them @ work, bringing home, packing up for the rummage, unpacking at the rummage and bringing empties home to reload for the move and finally moving to Alaska.

Camilla called last night discussing her dilemma of trying to find an apartment via internet search. It certainly isn't very easy, as few facilities have websites. To complicate matters further, they will be taking Bubba, their lab mix dog, so they need to find accommodations that will accept pets - LARGE pets. I did some searching, too, and came up with a couple, however they are in the top of our affordable range. While I'd like to secure a place before we get out there, I need to restrain myself so we can see the place prior to making a commitment.

No comments: