After spending 54 years from birth to 2008 living in Iowa I was presented with an opportunity to live in Fairbanks, Alaska. My blog is a diary of the adventure to get to Alaska, day to day life in Alaska, as well as facts for loved ones left behind in the Lower 48. Enjoy.

Friday, June 20, 2008

Like I have time for jury duty!

Received notification in the mail last week that I have been selected for jury duty mid July. I completed the online profile and indicated my reason for asking to be excused - moving to Alaska. I'm guessing that was a new "excuse" even for them to hear. Well, it worked. Received an e-mail today that I have been excused.

Camilla and Brian won't be able to rent the duplex they located, as the landlord wants them to sign a lease and they don't feel comfortable doing an extended lease without seeing the property first. So the hunt is still on for a place for them to live.

Thursday evening I went to Western Iowa Tech and returned my keys. It seemed rather sad to walk away from the building no longer having any connection to it. Another chapter of my life ended.

Nate got hired as a full-time care provider at BGH and starts his training Monday. His spirits soared having found a new job. He seemed to be okay kicking back for the past 5 weeks, however was sad to have lost his dream job at Frontier. He will receive his training here in SC and transfer to Alaska. It will be different having my husband and daughter working for the same Agency as me.

Today Nate built a new door for our shed. It faces the street and the bottom portion has rotted out and is in serious need of repair. He's off to Home Depot now to see if he can get paint matched so I can paint on it tomorrow.

Anna got all the bags to go to the trash and Goodwill out of the basement Wednesday evening. It's starting to empty out down there, which is a good thing.

I posted our home for lease on Craigslist.com and had a second inquiry this week; a gal from Phoenix who will be moving to Sioux City. Her brother lives in Sioux City and will be contacting us to take a look at the house and talk about her leasing it.

We had a leftover RUMMAGE SALE TODAY sign which I covered over with a 4 Rent 1 BR sign and posted near the curb. There's a house for sale two doors down from us that has an open house Sunday. Nate is going to see if he can find a bigger for rent sign to post in hopes that if people aren't impressed with the house for sale they might consider renting ours. (fingers crossed)

We're still trying to find a home for Peaches, our cat. It's almost as though he can read our minds and understand our words, as he has been extremely loving the last few days. He's such a nice cat - sure hope we can find him a home and not have to take him to the local shelter.

Best get after the basement and see how much more progress I can make.

No comments: