After spending 54 years from birth to 2008 living in Iowa I was presented with an opportunity to live in Fairbanks, Alaska. My blog is a diary of the adventure to get to Alaska, day to day life in Alaska, as well as facts for loved ones left behind in the Lower 48. Enjoy.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Going Postal

Well, we finally did it - made it to the post office to rent a PO box in Fairbanks. It was quite an ordeal, as there are numerous hoops to jump through including both people present at the local PO together, take driver's license AND passport, complete ALL parts of the PO form, and be there when the PO is open and the appropriate person is on duty. All in all we made 6 trips to the PO, so this is quite an accomplishment. Hopefully in the next week or so we'll know our new PO box address in Fairbanks. I may have said this before, but due to time constraints won't be checking to see if I did...if you want our new mailing address e-mail us and I'll give it to you.

Got some financial matters for Anna taken care of - I've been handling her finances the past few months...got that turned over to the Center and informed her utility companies, etc. of the change for their bills. Now to close the bank account and that will be all done. (another check mark on my to do list)

Waited an hour past when the property manager was to arrive to look at our home, and surprisingly enough he developed a personality today. Thank God! He informed me he called the man who stopped by the other night who wants to rent it, however he didn't reach the correct person. So...the for rent sign went out front again. He said that his maintenance man will be coming by to place his for rent sign soon.

This morning when they picked up our trash they broke one of the wheels on the trash container, so had to call and inform them of that this morning as well. Now I've lived in Sioux City for 28 years and never had a broken wheel on my trash container, why on earth would it have to happen NOW? Just another bump in the process I guess.

Stayed last night at work to get some things caught up. Found myself getting tearful as I went through 19 years of work and memories of the job here in Sioux City. As the time gets closer the emotions are rising. Even this morning when I went to City Hall and the bank I found myself thinking 'I may never again see these buildings and helpful people'. It will be a huge learning curve in Alaska finding our way around and hopefully feeling comfortable in our new surroundings.

Well I'm off to work tackling the kitchen today.

No comments: