After spending 54 years from birth to 2008 living in Iowa I was presented with an opportunity to live in Fairbanks, Alaska. My blog is a diary of the adventure to get to Alaska, day to day life in Alaska, as well as facts for loved ones left behind in the Lower 48. Enjoy.

Friday, August 29, 2008

Hiking and medical care in Alaska


Our President and CEO celebrated his 35th anniversary with our Agency. We held a surprise reception for him today.

































Ducks on the pond in Creamer's Field.









































Bus stop in Fairbanks







The word is official - we will be moving into Brian and Camilla's current residence before October 1. We have begun scrounging for some small furniture pieces and lamps (there aren't any ceiling lights there). I got on Craigslist last night and scored a small computer desk and lamp. Picked them up today and will be driving them around town until we move since there isn't room in our current apartment to put them!











I had my first appointment with my new primary care physician today. He is recently out of the Air Force (I'm guessing he retired from the military). I was at the clinic for my 8 a.m. appointment and left there around 11:30. Things/people in Alaska definitely move at a slower pace than back in the lower 48. I was pleased with his care and sense of humor. As he made his way through the computer system flipping through many screens and trying to remember where he'd found prior data he sat back in his chair and proclaimed, 'gee, now I'm tired'. He was pleased to see that I'd brought along the past 10 years of my medical records. chalk one up for my forethought :-)






I had a couple of dentist appointments too. First appointment he found 4 cavities needing fillings. As he was drilling away I couldn't help thinking how much trust we put in someone with tools inside our mouth that have the ability to grind away our teeth. My entire life I've had 4 dentists and must admit it was difficult putting the same level of trust in this new guy that I had in my previous dentists. Time will help me develop more confidence in him, I'm sure.






Looking forward to the next 3 days off work....now what to do with all that time? big smile






This evening I stopped by the Jo Ann Fabric store and was surprised at the variety of craft and seasonal items they have in addition to every kind and color and pattern of fabric one could imagine. I picked up their Creative University (class) schedule and plan on signing up for a class or two...another step towards taking more Marcia time.






my dentist's office

No comments: