After spending 54 years from birth to 2008 living in Iowa I was presented with an opportunity to live in Fairbanks, Alaska. My blog is a diary of the adventure to get to Alaska, day to day life in Alaska, as well as facts for loved ones left behind in the Lower 48. Enjoy.

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Nanooks & Laundry

Here is a photo of the huge polar bear that I referred to in my prior posting...notice how small the people are that are standing in front of the polar bear's legs? The Nanook hockey team comes skating between the bear's front legs at the start of the game.
This is the arctic entryway to our duplex with the floor opened to reveal the stairway to the basement, where the laundry is located. Never had anything like this back in Iowa....thankfully!

Laundry room in the basement of our duplex. The washer and dryer on the right work, the other three (four?) on the left hand side don't. The washer is actually the washer Camilla and Brian moved here from Iowa. It was installed in the basement and the landlord purchased it from them when they moved out of the duplex. Landlord purchased this property last summer and states he plans on cleaning out the basement this summer.


Carlson Center, Fairbanks, Alaska, where the UAF hockey games took place. I realize that this isn't anything spectacular, rather I posted it so you can see there ARE venues of some magnitude in Alaska. They even have indoor bathrooms with running water. The sign outside the men's restroom indicates there is a diaper changing station in there. To me, as a woman, that rocks!



This is the UAF hockey team praying before the game begins. Alright - I admit I have no clue if they're praying, but thought that would be nice. Note hockey player #3. He's extra special to me because #3 is my son, Sam's hockey jersey # back in Iowa, and because the player's name is cute Ted E Bear. He's one of their 4 mascots, all bears and cute as can be!
When we attended the youth hockey game at Fort Wainwright a couple of weeks ago one of the players became injured. I was touched nearly to tears to see the opposing team stop in their tracks, bend down on one knee and wait for the injured individual to get back up and moving. If only more of the world had that kind of respect for those who are "down and out".





The Alaska state flag.




No comments: