After spending 54 years from birth to 2008 living in Iowa I was presented with an opportunity to live in Fairbanks, Alaska. My blog is a diary of the adventure to get to Alaska, day to day life in Alaska, as well as facts for loved ones left behind in the Lower 48. Enjoy.

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Ice and Moose in Alaska

to the left - snow by the entry to our duplex.







Ice used for the ice festival - harvested from a deep pond.



Isn't this just the prettiest blue ice you've ever seen on a pond?




Ice Sculpture of a couple of turtles.





If you want to see the details closer, click on the photos.



Alaska celebrates 50 years of statehood this year.























Long slides 100% made from ice. Kids of all ages were enjoying them...sorry u can't see or hear them.









These were probably 25' tall.






Nathan - Mr. Carharrt















Camilla at our work as viewed from the receptionist station.











The title of this sculpture is spring.





Momma and baby moose across the road from work today 3-12-09.














Lady on the left was recently involved in a serious accident. She was working as an attendant on a local school bus which was hit by an out of control vehicle. She sustained serious burns and is receiving treatment in Washington State. Please keep her in your prayers.

















Courthouse in Fairbanks, AK. Isn't the building and the sky pretty?

















Front of the courthouse by the entrance.




















Nate in our apartment, getting ready to go to the ice park.



































Typical Alaska snow - almost looks fake, doesn't it?






Hopefully these photos and the accompanying text stay where I'm posting them. In reviewing my past postings I find that sometimes the text I type next to a photo ends up next to a different photo.



Tomorrow I send my camera back to Sony for repairs...at no expense. I really, really, really love that camera and SO want it back. I've tried using a different camera, but it just isn't as easy to use.



We continue to find ourselves amused at some non-amusing things. Camilla can't get over how little things just "tickle" me. That makes me easy to get along with, doncha think?



Today I was VERY excited first thing this morning to see a mama moose come out from behind the building across the road from work. It made its way into the willows and munched away. About 2 p.m. I peeked out and saw not only the mama moose, but the "baby" too. The baby is actually probably 2 years old. They got very close to the road and I couldn't resist taking a couple of photos with my cell phone. Hope you enjoy them.

I also used my telephone to take photos at the ice park last night. That, too, was a new experience for us. We got on our winter clompy boots and bundled up nice n warm. It was only 20 degrees out, and by the time we got home I was sweaty, sweaty. There were many parents and children there, the parents pulling their children in plastic sleds, as well as moms with small babies bundled up in pouches attached to their chests. Alaskans don't let a little cold or snow stop them from enjoying life. Gotta love their gusto!

No comments: