After spending 54 years from birth to 2008 living in Iowa I was presented with an opportunity to live in Fairbanks, Alaska. My blog is a diary of the adventure to get to Alaska, day to day life in Alaska, as well as facts for loved ones left behind in the Lower 48. Enjoy.

Saturday, January 10, 2009

OK Christmas & websites of interest


Grandpa Skeeter and Alexis
Below:
Almost all of the family:
Sam, Marla, Sally, Mike, Skeeter, Marcia
Jill and Judah (Stephen, Charissa and Alexis just happen to be in the small photo to the right of Sam.

Here are a couple more photos from the Christma trip to Oklahoma.
I continue to be plighted by camera difficulties. I bought a memory card for my cell phone and took quite a few photos with it, and now when I insert the memory card into my laptop it isn't recognized. hmm
There has been a LOT of ice fog in Fairbanks this past week, as well as cold temps -40's. Nate and I have decided to delete the minus or below when we talk about the temperature. Saying that with the temperature makes it seem all that much colder.
I have hoped all week that the ice fog would lift. I'm told that it goes along with the cold temps and the vehicle exhaust and chimney smoke, etc., and once the temp warms up it will lift. Driving in the ice fog, in my opinion, is very dangerous, as the roads are frequently glazed by invisible ice, as well as vehicle exhaust lingers in the air, often blocking one's view...in addition to the reduced visibility due to the ice fog.
Our cars have also "collected" ice fog on them. It resembles very, very fine powder. Windshield wipers don't remove it, it needs to be brushed off.
Our bodies are doing okay with the weather - probably because we spend most of the time indoors. Our vehicles, on the other hand, seem to have noticed the colder temps. Daily we have square tires to deal with, in addition to various other maladies, including brick hard seats, doors that don't want to open or shut easily, squeals from the engine before actually starting, sliding side doors not sliding, etc. It's actually kind of amusing to see what will be different each day.
Nate and I will be going for dinner shortly at The Turtle Club in nearby Fox, so I will give you some websites of interest you may enjoy.
Web cam at Barrow, Alaska - way, way north of us. I hope to visit there some day
Check out this energentic dog. Not sure the location where it was filmed, but definitely amazing.
Info regarding the road to Barrow.
Weather webcam in Fairbanks
What's there to do in Fairbanks? Check it out below~
And the most hilarious Christmas Wish Video I've ever seen

No comments: