After spending 54 years from birth to 2008 living in Iowa I was presented with an opportunity to live in Fairbanks, Alaska. My blog is a diary of the adventure to get to Alaska, day to day life in Alaska, as well as facts for loved ones left behind in the Lower 48. Enjoy.

Friday, July 4, 2008

Hiccup in timeframe

Well, there's been a major hiccup in our timeframe for departing for Alaska. Mid June Nathan came down with a cold and wouldn't you know it, he passed the germ on to me. To make a LONG, painful story short, my body decided to do some development on the cold germ. I ended up with double ear infections, sinus infection, bronchitis, and a virus. I saw the doctor twice this week and was initially told to be off work for two days, then at second appointment was told I needed to take the rest of the week off of work. Yeah, like I have time for that! They told me if I didn't, I'd jeopardize the germ continuing to develop in my weakened system, creating an even longer recuperation period.

What a total bummer. Here I was stuck in my messed up home with stuff pulled out of closets, drawers, and cupboards, boxes everywhere, and unable to do much that required my head to be tilted down or to lean over or it felt like my stuffed head would topple me right over. And, of course, my BGH workload didn't get any attention either.

Due to this disruption of progress on the moving front we decided to leave for AK 7-11 rather than 7-9. This will give us two more days to pack and hopefully lessen the stress level of getting out of town. We don't start work until 7-21, so that should still get us up to Alaska in time.

A brief synopsis of the week:

-the bathroom exhaust fan was installed

-housing inspector came and inspected the house - he found only one problem - we have a 50 amp electric service and 100 amp is required. We are awaiting a bid from the electrician.

-made it to the local sheriff's office to be fingerprinted for our AK jobs (anyone working in AK has to be fingerprinted)

-found a photo of the manger that was mistakenly donated to Goodwill. Now they'll have a photo to go on when looking for ours.

-received notice from the City that we are to cut our weeds. Clueless about what weeds we needed to cut had the city inspector give us his opinion of what needs to be cut. He admitted he's not a botanist (neither are we) and said that anything that's a weed that's over 12" tall needs to be trimmed. Nate pulled anything not actively blooming in our wildflower area and we are hoping that will keep the City off our back.

-still await our post office box assignment in Alaska. (It was mailed Thursday, 6-26 and they still haven't received our application.)

-received notification from the IRS that we should be receiving our incentive check (or whatever it's called) soon. We're hoping we receive it before we leave for AK, or they may never find us!

-Nate touched up some areas with a coat of fresh paint - wow - what a difference!

-learned that our new health insurance really DID take effect 7-1.

-learned that the local Toyota company still hasn't received Nate's engine heater. They are now hoping it will arrive July 10. Now that's cutting it short!

-learned that the plumber did NOT get the leak below the bathtub fixed. And Nate just paid that bill!

-learned that when I sleep in the recliner (as I have for the past 3 nights) that I don't choke and cough ALL night and Nate is able to sleep better.

There has been a lot of interest in leasing our home, however nothing has been finalized. A lady called and stopped by who expressed great interest in renting, and we feel very comfortable with her. In our opinion she would be the ideal renter. She is willing to agree to us storing items we can't take with us in the basement. Due to her financial situation she isn't able to pay the full asking price, which just covers our mortgage. We did some math and realize that while on paper we will be losing money, she has expressed an interest in nothing short of a year's lease, so we would know that she would be here and the place wouldn't sit empty or require refurbishing before we were able to rent it again.

Monday she plans on going to our leasing agent's office and completing an application. We are SO hoping that everything goes according to our wishes (now isn't that just being selfish!) so we'll know SHE is our tenant before we leave for Alaska on Friday.

I am beginning to feel better, however still have a LONG way to go before I'm 100%. My sinus pain is bearable, the severe headaches accompanied by violent hurling have gone away, my aggravated muscles have begun to heal allowing me to get up out of a chair like an able human being rather than a feeble old lady, and I have faith now that we will be ready to move on July 11. I'm praying that my thinking clears even more, as it continues to be a bit fuzzy due to the pressure it's receiving from my swollen sinuses.

No comments: